Sunday, October 18, 2009

Ranitidine for horses

In order to avoid the "acid rebound" effect that occurred when I first took Jazz off of GastroGard, I decided to try the human protocol, by alternating the omeprazole (GastroGard/UlcerGard) with one of the popular over-the-counter H2 blockers: cimetidine, famotidine, ranitidine.

I couldn't find an online resource for the equine dosage for ranitidine (Zantac), so I turned to a barnmate that has some experience with the drug.

The dosage is 3 mg/lb or 6.6 mg/kilo.

So far, it seems to have worked.

Since then, Jazz is now on a daily dose of bentonite clay for maintenance. I've heard of horse owners who have used the bentonite clay to cure ulcers, but since the flare up seemed so much worse the second time around, I went with big guns.

UPDATE, 04/04/10: I added 1/4 cup of aloe vera juice daily to the routine, which has really taken the edge off of Jazz's sensitive stomach.

No comments:

Post a Comment